menu icon
Friends of Mount Evans and Lost Creek Wilderness
Beaver Meadows - Trail # 44


(Click Map for PDF)

Beginning Elevation: 8780
High Point: 10470
End Elevation: 10470
Difficulty: Moderate
Length, One Way: 4 miles
Seasons: Summer through Fall
USGS Quads: Harris Park
Other Maps: Arapaho National Forest, Trails Illustrated #104
Usage Level: Medium


Access

The Beaver Meadows Trail is accessed via the Camp Rock Trailhead. The Beaver Meadows Trail is found at the west end of the parking lot and the Beartrack Lakes Trail at the east. The road in to the trailhead is in the Mount Evans State Wildlife Area and is closed to motor vehicles on Labor Day, then closed to all entry from January 1 through June 14.

Trail Heads

Camp Rock


Connecting Trails

Beartrack Lakes
Cub Creek
Resthouse






Description

The Beaver Meadows Trail climbs gradually from the Camp Rock Trailhead through open forest and grassy meadows, then up an old glacial moraine and on to Resthouse Meadows.

Within a mile of leaving the trailhead, the forest opens up into Beaver Meadows, with beaver ponds dotting the area. Two old camping shelters are seen to the north side of the trail on the edge of the meadow. Near the Wilderness boundary, you re-enter the forest and climb slowly up a glacial moraine to Resthouse Meadows, where the trail ends at its junction with the Cub Creek and Resthouse Trails.


Trail's History

The Beaver Meadows trail is part of the original trail system in the Upper Bear Creek Basin, probably built sometime before 1915. In the early days, the trail was a part of the original trail to the summit of Mount Evans. A short distance west up the current Cub Creek trail, the Forest Service built a log cabin in 1917 for the use of travelers on the way to Mount Evans. This cabin is the “resthouse” for which Resthouse Meadows is named.

Below Beaver Meadows, the trail often seems more like an old road. During the 1,050 acre Resthouse Meadows Fire in 1962, bulldozers widened the trail into a road for firefighting equipment and personnel.

The two Adirondack style camping shelters were constructed in Beaver Meadows in 1917 as a part of the Mount Evans Recreation Area Plan. Fire camps for the 1962 Resthouse Fire and the 1968 Lincoln Lake Fire were located here.