menu icon
Friends of Mount Evans and Lost Creek Wilderness
Cub Creek - Trail # 40


(Click Map for PDF)

Beginning Elevation: 8360
High Point: 11400
End Elevation: 10440
Difficulty: Moderate
Length, One Way: 18 miles
Seasons: Summer through Fall
USGS Quads: Meridian Hill, Harris Park
Other Maps: Arapaho National Forest, Trails Illustrated #104
Usage Level: Low


Access

The Cub Creek trail has only one trailhead – the Cub Creek Trailhead at the far east end of the trail. Access to the Cub Creek trail within the Wilderness is made via connecting trails.

Trail Heads

Cub Creek


Connecting Trails

Indian Creek
Meridian
Lost Creek
Beartrack Lakes
Beaver Meadows
Resthouse



Description

The Cub Creek Trail, in combination with intersecting trails, provides a number of loop hikes of varying lengths in the Upper Bear Creek basin. The trail traverses varied terrain, crossing glacial moraines, through open country of old burns and into dense, quiet forest.

At the west end, the trail begins in Resthouse Meadows at the junction of the Beaver Meadows and Resthouse Trails. Shortly after leaving the junction, you pass the stone chimney, all that remains of the Resthouse that gave the meadow its name. After crossing Bear Creek, the trail climbs south through the 1,050 acre Resthouse Meadows burn (1962).

In the winter of 2011/2012 a major wind event knocked down 400-600 acres of timber along the trail in this section, rendering it impassable. As of the end of the 2015, clearing of the trail was completed, all cut out by hand using crosscut saws. Soon after entering the blowndown area, you join the Beartracks Trail, which takes off to the southwest to Beartrack Lakes.

0.2 miles beyond this junction, you leave the Beartracks Trail, which runs northeasterly down the ridge toward the trailhead at Camp Rock. The Cub Creek Trail continues southeasterly to Truesdell Creek, then over a ridge to Lost Creek and a junction with the Lost Creek Trail.

Continuing southeasterly, the trail climbs over a high saddle and descends to a junction with the Meridian Trail rising from the south. From here, the trail descends into the Indian Creek Drainage to a junction with the Indian Creek Trail. From this point, the trail continues easterly on the easternmost section of trail which sees little use.


Trail's History

Originally, the Cub Creek trail ran from Cub Creek southwest of Evergreen to the Indian Creek Trail. It was constructed by the Forest Service, with help and encouragement from Edwin Welz, the owner of the Brook Forest Inn, a small resort on upper Cub Creek. The inn became well known for its horseback trips to Mount Evans. The Cub Creek Trail first appears on USGS topographic maps in 1924 and on Forest Service maps in 1925.

At some point in the 1980’s, the original Cub Creek trail, and sections of Indian Creek, Meridian (then called Meridian Hill), and Resthouse trails were joined to create the Cub Creek trail as it is today.

Near the west end of the trail stands a stone chimney, the remains of a log rest house there, which was constructed for public use by the Forest Service in 1916-1917. A fire camp was located here during the 1962 Resthouse Fire. The Resthouse was in use until 1968 when, according to a note in Forest Service files, it was burned by “parties unknown.”